Thursday, February 5, 2009

Module 3, Question 1 Response

The results of my multiple intelligence test were very interesting to me. I scored 30 or above in every intelligence type, except one, which was musical. I don't know if this means I am well-rounded or just indecisive! My highest score was a 37 in the interpersonal intelligence. This makes a lot of sense to me because I love being with people and I love teaching. Aside from clinical practice (which also involves, or SHOULD involve an enormous amount of teaching), I want teach at the university level after graduating. Throughout all my years of schooling, teachers have had a huge impact on my life, either positively or negatively. We can all think of that certain jr. high school teacher that put us to sleep everyday or was disrespectful to the students, or perhaps that high school teacher that everyone loved who made going to class each day worth while. Some of my biggest role models in my life have been good teachers and I hope to be the same someday. Effective teacher-student relationships in the classroom are absolutely essential.  

In the linguistic category, I scored a 34. I don't consider myself a person with an extensive vocabulary and English never was my favorite subject in school, but I have always paid a lot of attention to words and grammar. I love to edit documents, and without intention, my eyes are drawn to typos in whatever I read. This attention to word-choice has increased even more since I have learned Spanish, because that is a critical part of learning another language. In the classroom, I learn well through reading, but I sometimes seem to get distracted. I can understand what I read well, however, discussion is the tool that helps me retain that information for long periods of time. I don't appreciate the professor that stands up every class simply to read the lectures slides. If were weren't able to read, we wouldn't be in a graduate program. I appreciate the instructor that engages me in conversation and makes me think and apply and intertwine ideas to have those "ahh ha" moments that stick with me so long. 

I also got a 34 in the intrapersonal category. I think to be effective in anything, knowing and understanding yourself and your role in relating to others is important. I got a 33 in the bodily-kinesthetic category, which explains why I learn so well by doing and through hands-on activities. 

There are few things I can to do change the teaching techniques of my professors, aside from suggestions and evaluations. As far as my personal learning, I could study with another individual or two to promote interpersonal learning and discussion, and we could learn through quizzing each other. This would be a linguistic strategy as well. As far as ideas for teaching, I like to incorporate games, student interactions, memorizations helps such as rhymes, etc, question/answer times and as much hands-on activities as possible. 

1 comment:

  1. Very insightful comments, particularly in regards to your score on interpersonal. I'm glad to see your respect for education and that you value it so greatly.

    Your even scoring most likely suggests that you learn well in a variety of settings.

    Excellent comments. - Allen

    ReplyDelete